Educating cardholders is invaluable to not only protect the cardholder from potential skimming events but also allowing them to be "inspectors" to help identify such events.
- Be aware of your surroundings and suspicious activity and/or people in the area and when possible use familiar ATMs and devices to have a better feel for these surroundings.
- Be familiar with how gas pump payment devices look where you frequently fill up.
- Pay close attention to the card reader and keyboard areas for obvious tampering such as color distortion, glue, cracked surfaces, etc.
- When available, educate cardholders on the purpose of the card reader lead through indicator (i.e., blinking LED light) and that if it is distorted or not visible it may indicate a skimming device.
- Use preventive measures such as covering the keyboard with one hand when entering their PIN with the other.